So, I looked up synonyms for “self-love” on Thesaurus.com.
Here’s what it said:
No fucking wonder people think self-love is selfish.
Is that really the only synonyms they could come up with?
These are the kinds of words I think of when I hear self-love.
But all too often I hear my clients say they feel GUILTY for practicing self-care.
Self-care is one of the BEST forms of self-love.
Yet here we are, thinking that it’s vain to take care of ourselves.
That’s complete bullshit.
After recently realizing I wasn’t practicing enough self-care for myself either, I set out on a mission to learn more about what other women are doing to invest in themselves for self-care.
Here’s the list I compiled from all their amazing recommendations:
- Unplug / tech-free time
- Sleep / napping
- Bubble bath (add essential oils to kick it up a notch)
- Good nutrition
- Drinking water
- Taking time off
- Vacations / travelling
- Drinking tea
- Healing crystals
- Listening to podcasts / audio books / music
- Saying no to things that don’t serve you
- Daily movement / going to the gym / running
- Walking in nature
- Reflecting on your day and what you’re grateful for
- Going to the spa / getting a massage / reflexology / acupuncture / reiki
- Drinking a glass of wine
- Date night with yourself
- Watch TV / movies / Netflix
- Have a good laugh
- Have a good cry
- Using essential oils
- Meal prep healthy options for the week
- Breathing exercises
- Connect through women’s groups
- Lighting scented candles
- Skin care / moisturizing
- Be barefoot in nature
- Have an orgasm
- Getting a manicure / pedicure
- Downsizing / decluttering / organizing
- Set boundaries
- Guilt-free down time
- Forget the negative, and choose to focus on the positive
- Schedule your day / week to feel less overwhelmed
- Positive affirmations / create a vision board
- Create a sacred meditation space
- Write a love letter to yourself
- Morning stretching
- Dressing well – even if you work from home
- Set “office hours” – and stick to them
- Swim / hot tub / sauna
- Pay attention to your body and practice self awareness
- Start your day with 5 minutes of quiet
I challenge you to choose at least one thing from this list each week to help you get more self-care in your life.
Maybe you can even choose one thing each DAY to step it up even more!
Because the more self-care you bring to your own life; is the more self-love you get to experience.
As a society, we need to stop promoting the idea that self-love is narcissistic.
Because true self-love is a beautiful thing.
And there’s certainly ways to express it without being conceited.
So this is your permission to start incorporating more self-care and more self-love into your day.
Not that you need permission.
But typically, we’re more likely to do something when we get permission from someone else.
So there it is.
No more excuses.
We’re going to begin adding more self-love into our day.
And we’re going to love every minute of it.
Because we’re amazing.